Mica is a naturally occurring stone mineral with shiny flakes which is its powdered form is known as mica powder. Therefore, mica powder is soft and sparkly like very fine glitter. It is used to give a metallic or shimmery pearl-like effect. Although mica power comes in many colours. It is not optimal for colouring purpose rather it is used to create sparkle or shine.
As an element, mica is optically flat, translucent and elastic in nature. The composition includes silicate, aluminium, potassium, manganese, water and iron. Mica or Muscovite Powder is the most preferred mineral in various manufacturing industries and in other personal applications because it contains the highest amount of silica.
Mica Powder Uses
Mica contains a high amount of silica making the element the most preferred mineral to be used in various industries and also for other personal uses.
The elastic property of mica makes it useful as fillers and extenders. Besides, mica powder also gives uniform smoothness which prevents cracking.
Mica can be added to grease which would increase its durability and give it a better and smoother surface.
There are a variety of uses of mica such as:
- Mica powder is used in paints as a pigment extender. It is also used to brighten the tone of coloured pigments
- Mica is also used for thermal insulation and electrical insulators in electronic equipment the electrical industry
- The shiny and glittery look of mica powder makes it a common and important ingredient for toothpaste and cosmetics.
- Mica shields or gauge glass mica can be used to secure the liquid level gauges from corrosive and acidic solutions.
- Mica mineral is also used in gypsum wallboard combined compound where it acts as wadding and prevents cracking.
Mica in Rajasthan
Mica mineral is produced in vast proportions in the state of Rajasthan. Rajasthan is one of the largest producers of metals and minerals like copper, zinc, gypsum, mica etc. The state is also one of the largest suppliers of mica. Mica is Rajasthan is produced as per its demand in the national and international market.
India being the hub of mica production, stringently and easily meets the demand before the deadline.